Search This Blog

Friday, March 8, 2013

That's entertainment: Adrian Schultheiss's 2009-10 LP

I'm not feeling the love for most of this seasons' programs, and have been watching older ones on Youtube more than I watch the newer ones. As Saffron noted in her post about Misha Ge, neither a skater nor a program need be perfect in order to be entertaining or memorable. With that in mind, here's one such program (more to follow!): Adrian Schultheiss's wacky LP from the 2009-10 Olympic season, a combination of Massive Attack's Teardrop, Cypress Hill's Insane in the Brain, Prodigy's Smack My Bitch Up, and some Super Mario Brothers thrown in for good measure.

Schultheiss skates to a top-ten finish at 2010 Worlds

Tell us about your program, Adrian: "I wanted to be even more crazy and funny for the public in a hip-hop way... People say to me, ‘This is what figure skating needs, somebody to do something new, to wake up the public a little bit.’ Because if you watch the classical [music], as I have in my short program, people get bored easy. You need variation. That’s what I’m trying to show.” 

According to Schultheiss's website, he will not be able to return to competition this season, but plans to compete next season. Here's to hoping he'll stay healthy, both for his own sake and because of the entertainment value he provides!

No comments:

Post a Comment